[Air-l] new vs old activism

Maura Conway maura.conway at dcu.ie
Tue Nov 21 03:25:16 PST 2006

Kevin,

For an interesting and theoretically informed exploration of the whether
there is a global civil society presently in existence, see John Keane's
'Global Civil Society? (Cambridge, 2003).

On a more 'practical' note, I like Peter Hajnal's (Ed.), 'Civil Society
in the Information Age' (Ashgate, 2002), which is basically composed of
'case studies' of the IT-use of NGOs such as Amnesty, Oxfam, and similar.

I'd also suggest checking out the Blacwell's journal 'Global Networks: A
Journal of Transnational Affairs,' which also publishes the kind of
stuff you seem to be after.

Best,
Maura

Dr. Maura Conway