[Air-l] new vs old activism

J Patrick Biddix jpatrickbiddix at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 11:08:54 PST 2006

My dissertation research focused on the nature of college activism related to Internet Communication Technology (ICT). I've posted most of my current research online and have a few papers under review:

www.jpatrickbiddix.net/estudentprotest.html

Briefly from my abstract:

This study found that today’s student protests begin electronically well before the “real life” action takes place. The capabilities afforded by electronically-enhanced tactics allow students to rapidly and effectively plan, coordinate, mobilize, and execute actions. Perhaps most notably, the Internet and cell phones also allow students to extensively share tactics and assistance before, during, and after a significant action. Additional unique findings of this study concern the role of non-campus organizations in student protests, the use of email to strategize and supplement meetings, and student reliance on technological immediacy.

Definitely interested in what you find out through this query.

J Patrick Biddix, Ph.D.
  www.jpatrickbiddix.net