[Air-l] On-line behaviour

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Mon Nov 27 12:40:59 PST 2006

I think that the computer safety angle is an important one for a lot
of otherwise sensible people, and there is also a fear of
cyberstalking. This may look silly to us, but fear is a potent driver
for people when they are dealing with the unknown, and The Internet
ranks as Very Unknown..

I don't know about NZ (having left there in 1998), but my observation
of life in Sydney is that many, if not most, people limit their
engagement with new people (consciously or unconsciously). If this is
true in f-t-f environments, why would they seek out the company of
other new people online?

I was driven online by not finding people whom I wanted to connect
with in my f-t-f environment in a provincial city. It changed my life
in ways I don't want to go into here. But most of my family,
workmates and people I knew socially thought I was crazy to make the
changes I did as a result of online connections. I found this bizarre
and frustrating, for reasons I'm sure you'll understand.

Do you think that will change in time? In other words, is it, at
least partly, generational? (I am 55, so am very unusual in my age
group - in this as well as many other things!)

M-H