[Air-l] Analyzing user generated multimedia content

Anders Fagerjord anders.fagerjord at media.uio.no
Thu Nov 16 00:35:40 PST 2006

Analyzing images (still or moving) is at least as difficult and
complex as analyzing written text. I do not think there exists a
general way of analyzing or classifying imagery that makes any sense.

Images are generally polysemous, so how to assess their "meaning" has
been a battlefield in philosophy, art history, hermeneutics,
semiotics, and psychology for centuries.

We could list some widespread uses, however. I've tried to write
about this in a recent book on Web media, but it is in Norwegian,
unfortunately. Among typical uses in web pages, you find: description
or demonstration (this is what it looks like), explanation (figures,
maps, step-by-step illustrations), visual entry points (something to
catch the eye and attract attention).

There are many kinds of images. Photographs have a strong sense of
being "proof", as they are mechanical recordings of light. This still
holds true in the age of Photoshop: the vast majority of photos are
never manipulated in post-production, and I will argue we still think
of photos as "true". Drawings, on the other hand, are stylized, they
can leave out unnecessary detail. Artists may also exaggerate detail
(like in charicature, but also in the width of a river on a map), and
draw the impossible.

In commercial web design (as in other graphic design), the most
common use of imagery is to attach meaning to a product or a company,
what is known as "connotations" in semiotics. Today, Tiger Woods
adorns the home page of accenture.com. He is not a consultant for the
firm, nor do they do golf consulting (as far as I know). But they
want to communicate that the values Woods represent also are the
values of Accenture. His image is used as a metaphor.

But then again, many photo amateurs post photos that are just
"beautiful", according to mainstream photo aestethics. While being
displays of harmony, color, lines, perspective, or emotion, these
images of course also serve to demonstrate the skills of the
photographer.

Which again, means, I guess, that to analyze images all depends on
what you are interested in, what your research problem is. Isn't that
the case for analysis of language and writing too?

I don't have a recipe for you, but you may find some examples of
analyses I have done on http://fagerjord.no/rhetoricalconvergence

--anders
--
Anders Fagerjord, dr. art.