[Air-l] new vs old activism

Frank Thomas news.ftr at free.fr
Tue Nov 21 00:59:13 PST 2006

Some ideas :

When were Greenpeace, Mécécins sans Frontiers (The French Doctors), The
Red Cross founded - before or after the arrival of the Internet ?

Look into the literature on volunteering, go to your volunteer centre  :
since when do churches, political parties, unions complain about a drop
in activity by its members, a drop in membership - before or after the
arrival of the Internet ?

Read Putnam on Social Capital (and don't believe that his model explains
the changes in volunteering in other countries) Is the Internet a major
explanatory factor in his analysis of the evolution of bridging capital
in the US ?  Since when does traditional volunteering & door-to-door
canvassing gets replaced by lobbying & mailing campaigns in Washington ?

And of course, read Castells & Barry, Riesman The Lonely Crowd (it's
from 1961) to the ground swell

A technology can be an accelerator, a facilitator, a brake, in all cases
an intervening variable, not a reason.

Just my 2 ct.
Frank