[Air-l] Petition Tony Blair, online that is

Matthias Trenel matthias.trenel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 06:33:41 PST 2006

I have two remarks to this interesting debate - leaving aside the
question of who is delighted (or not) for what reason ;-)

@petitioning without deliberation

Well, even when discussion spaces are missing, having something like
public petitions online does make the current petitioning system more
transparent and accessible - let's not forget to note that - which
feeds well into new forms of more deliberative democracy as well
because other deliberative arenas (e.g. media, or those alternative
discussion spaces Stephen suggested) may pick up the petition issues
and carry them into the public sphere, that in turn can exert
"argumentative control" over the political administrative system (in a
siege-like manner, to speak in Habermas' terms).

However, the lack of discussion spaces on http://petitions.pm.gov.uk
is a disappointment
* given that it would be more convenient for citizens to discuss the
petition issues on the same site (and they would probably want to be
listened to in most direct ways),
* given that state bodies need to transform themselves into more
deliberative institutions as well to meet the challenges of democratic
development
* given that the e-petition-forerunner-system,
http://www.e-petitioner.org.uk, has a discussion space, and
* given that Matthew Taylor himself, the (or an?) outgoing No 10
Strategy adviser, has recently called for more deliberative spaces
rather than more channels for citizens to express their demands:
http://partnerships.typepad.com/civic/2006/11/the_challenge_f.html

@consideration of ePetitions
The flood of petitions (500+ in the first few days) may be viewed as a
success. However, knowing how much ressources it takes to process
petitions, it also undermines the credibility of the
e-petitioning-system at No 10. It is beyond imagination that the No 10
administration can pay attention to an extra 500 petitions that stream
into No10 every couple of days on top of the paper petitions even at
the most rudimentary level. That is, they must have filters in place,
such as number of signatures received or the like, which they need to
make transparent to maintain credibility - and credibility is probably
the most important ingredient for success in this realm.

On a further note, which explains my interest in this issue, I want
point you to the e-petitioning system at the German Parliament, which
Zebralog is currently evaluating:

Public Petitions at the German Parliament:
Zebralog evaluates pilot project
http://www.zebralog.de/en/000195.html

Greetings, Matthias

PS: I'm going to post this thread to do_consult
(http://groups.dowire.org/groups/consult/index.xml) as well as people
there should be interested in reading this

--

Matthias Trenel
Zebralog e.V.
trenel at zebralog.de