[Air-l] Tyranny of a minority

Elizabeth Van Couvering e.j.van-couvering at lse.ac.uk
Fri Nov 10 00:26:30 PST 2006

In your view, how should the list be managed?

I feel as though you are accusing me of colluding with tyrants
(although I don't agree with this characterisation of my colleagues
list members), but I am not really sure about what alternatives you
propose.

I also think many are deterred from interacting with you on this
matter (not on academic matters, where as far as I recall the
discussions have been productive) for fear that you will label them -
it goes both ways, in other words.

Elizabeth

On 9 Nov 2006, at 18:48, Sam Tilden wrote:
<snip>

>   There are 1500 people who own this list. AOIR claims ownership
> but there are autocrats who rule this list as a whim of agreement
> or diagreement.
> <snip>
>
>   I abhor tryrany in any form. I believe that this list is
> controled by intellectual tyrants. They do it with velvet words,
> but it is tryranny none the less. I have enjoyed my association
> with most of you.

Elizabeth Van Couvering
PhD Student
Department of Media & Communications