[Air-l] "Online - Heidelberg Journal of Religions on the Internet" + Call for Paper

kerstin.radde at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de kerstin.radde at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 20 00:53:04 PST 2006

Dear list-members,

the second issue of the relatively young and yet unknown "Online -
Heidelberg Journal of Religions on the Internet" covering the topic
"Rituals on the Internet" is online. Please see:
http://online.uni-hd.de.

The journal consists of the following papers:

Kalinock, Sabine:
Going on Pilgrimage Online - the Represenation of Shia Rituals on the
Internet.

Jakobsh, Doris R.:
Authority in the Virtual Sangat: Sikkhism, Ritual and Identity in the
Twenty-First
Century.

Rudolph, Michael:
Ethnic Revival, and the Reappearance of Indigenous Religions in the
ROC - the Use of the
Internet in the Construction of Taiwanese Identities.

Radde-Antweiler, Kerstin:
Rituals Online: Transferring and Designing Rituals.

Casey, Cheryl Anne: Virtual Faith - the Revirtualization of Religious
Ritual in
Cyberspace.

MacWilliams, Marc:
Techno-Ritualization - the Gohozon Controversy on the Internet.

We're planning another special issue covering the topic "Virtual
Worlds". I send you the Call for Paper as a text below.
Additionally we're excepting other articles for publication dealing
with religion and internet all the time. Just send them to:
online-journal at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de

I would be gratefull, if you recommended our journal and the
possibility to publication.

With best greetings from Heidelberg (Germany)
Yours sincerly
Kerstin

Dipl. Theol. Kerstin Radde-Antweiler
SFB 619 Teilprojekt C 2
Institut für Religionswissenschaft
der Universität Heidelberg
Akademiestr. 4-8
69117 Heidelberg

Tel.: +49-(0)6221-547482
Fax : +49-(0)6221-547424
Email: kerstin.radde at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de

Call for Paper "Virtual Worlds"

In the academic field of "Cultural Studies", like in other cultural and social
disciplines, the relevance of the Internet as new media is constantly
increasing. New areas of scholarly research are to be found on
homepages, weblogs, in chat rooms, in newsgroups and in virtual 3D
environments, where religious and spiritual topics are presented and
incessantly negotiated. The Internet could be seen as a ?cultural
context of its own right", as Christine Hine stated in her
programmatic book "Virtual ethnography". In this respect it has become
an important part of our cultural and scientific assets, heritage and
memory. As such it also forms, modifies and creates new cultural
structures.

Therefore, the challenges of this media provide the scholar with
materials in a still mainly unexplored field of research, demanding
new scientific methods and methodologies in order to analyse the
likewise new realm of religious beliefs and utterances in this virtual
space.

In the context of Internet Research, Virtual Worlds offer a new
environment to meet, communicate and perform social and cultural
activity in a virtual reality, irrespective of geographical and
real-life body conditions. Examples for such Virtual Worlds -
understood as digital spaces, occupied in large part by human
controlled agents, known as avatars, participating in a collective
virtual space? (Krausnick 2004) - are Active Worlds and The Palace -
both in use since 1995 - and There since 1998. The most prominent and
famous example is the privately-owned, subscription-based 3D
application Second Life that went online for the public in 2003. An
increasing number of residents use such environments not only as a
kind of virtual playground but as an enlargement of their real-life
possibilities. And this ?virtual life? has to be taken seriously: The
users are both socially and religiously very active and consequently
transfer real-life activities into virtual space.

For the next issue of the new Journal Online - Heidelberg Journal of
Religions on the Internet (http://online.uni-hd.de), we are planning
to edit a special edition with the working title "Virtual Worlds". The
essays we are inviting should deal with the notions of cultural and /
or religious activities in Virtual Worlds like Second Life and MMOGs
such as Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc.

Possible topics or foci of the special issue:
1) Religion and Rituals
2) Methodology
3) Offline-Online Relations

Other topics that correspond to the subject of the issue are equally
welcome. We
encourage abstracts from all areas of research. Please send title and
abstract (no more than 350 words) of your proposed paper as well as
some short biodata of the author/s as email-text to Kerstin
Radde-Antweiler  (kerstin.radde at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de)
by January 4th, 2007. Later submissions will not be accepted. A
decision on the contents of the volume will be made on the basis of
anonymous reviews of the abstracts, and all authors of abstracts will
be informed by January 30th, 2007. Authors will have to be prepared to
submit their finished papers (no more than 8000 words) by March 15th,
2007. Then, these will be reviewed and possibly returned to the
authors with suggestions from the editors. It is planned to publish
the volume by Mid 2007.

Dipl. Theol. Kerstin Radde-Antweiler
Centre for European Historical and Cultural Studies
Institute for Religious Studies
Akademiestr. 4-8 D-69117
Heidelberg Germany