[Air-l] everything old is new again

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 21 09:14:31 PST 2006

I've profited by the discussion about online petitions and "new" activism.

But as a guy who got politically active in the late 1950s, I wryly offer
the following.

"New activism" is what "we" are doing now.
"Old activism" is that "they" did a while ago.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to "Move On" and "Meet Up"? They were
highly touted organizing affordances of the Dean campaign in the US just
2-3 years ago. And Dean is chair of the Democratic party in the US.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php