[Air-l] On-line behaviour

Nicole Reinhold nicole.reinhold at philips.com
Tue Nov 28 05:02:21 PST 2006

Dear all,
Interesting discussion . . .
I agree very much to what John pointed out: "We have a digit divide but
not the one we expected to have."

I like to add a different aspect to that discussion. What about not
looking at society level but looking at working environments.
How can we work in projects teams with a huge "digital divide"?
In work settings it's not anymore a question of choice but a question of
alignment, so that everybody can participate and collaborate in the
project.
>From my own experience, I know that different attitude and skills with
regards to e-technologies (especially communication tools) make it very
difficult to work together and create a common vision.
Has anybody similar experiences?
What once it was a challenge to work in multidisciplinary teams, in our
days the challenge is to work in teams with a huge "digital divide".
The biggest issue is that many still see the internet and it's
applications as a question of tools - it's IT. They are little aware that
by using those "tools" a new way of communication and collaboration is
possible, which can/will change the way of working. IT on the other side
is puzzled on how come that the tools developed does not get used - or not
used properly - or only by a specific group. There is little awareness
that those tools need also a ?culture of usage?.
And second question is of course when does it make sense to push for new
e-technology based application and when not.

Any thoughts or comments?

Regards Nicole

MA. Nicole Reinhold,
Senior Research Consultant