[Air-l] suggestions?

John Veitch jsveitch at ate.co.nz
Tue Oct 3 02:48:06 PDT 2006

Hello Charles

We have far more to fear from the huge number of people who find the new
technology of little or no interest.
I can't offer any extensive research, but quite a lot of thoughtful
experience that I've tried to document.

Here is a recent comment on the people using Ryze. . It's on the Truth
Seekers Network, but you can read it.
http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=738706&confid=1031
<http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=738706&confid=1031>

In fact on a place like Ryze is would be possible to document the
personal growth and development of members who post regularly. All their
letters are retained and are publicly accessible.

However I usually write about the huge failure rate on Ryze and with
technology in general.

How people FAIL to make good use of the Internet.
http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=744879&confid=586

I work as a market researcher. My sad discovery in New Zealand is that
more than 10% of the population seems to be functionally illiterate.
They can perhaps read, but  they never do and their skills such as they
may have been are poor. (My personal sample is small, only 50 houses)
Results of a big study (6000 houses) will be available next year.

What's more although 75% of people have Internet access in their homes,
most people have no idea what to use it for.  They don't join lists,
they don't join social forms.  They swap jokes, and video clips. They
search on Google twice a month. They look at Ebay or Trade Me.  That's
it.  The much heralded "information super-highway" might just as well be
a dirt track for all the difference it is making.  I met a guy with 7
years "experience" on the internet who was confident that he knew all
about it. No lists, no social networks, only 32 people in his address
book,  10 to 15 emails a week.  Google - "I seldom use it".

There is a secret to using the Internet well. It to find other people
who know more about it than you, and hang about with them. HOW?

Join a list. That's why I'm on this one.
Join a Social Network. That's why I visit Ryze every day.  You'll also
find me on LinkedIn and OpenBC, and a few other places.
Every time you sit on a new crossroad, you get to see new things and to
meet new people. This is the raw material for motivation and learning.
Other people arouse your curiosity, they challenge your viewpoint, they
raise to importance issues you've never considered before. There is a
knowledge mine there if you care to do a little work.

So the TV programme wants to show that not using the new technology is
OK. Be a couch potato and watch TV until you go to sleep.

TV stations need to be careful.  When people understand how to use the
Internet TV watching goes way way down. In my case it hardly exists.

For young people playing computer games may be a satisfactory
alternative to Social Networks.
Lisa Galarneau is an expert here. You can hear her of Rodio NZ by podcast:
http://202.7.7.90:7000/sat/sat-20060923-1130-Lisa_Galarneau-048.mp3

Or search for her on Google. Lots of pages.

There is a distinct need to develop Internet Literacy.
I have a play with that idea here.
http://www.ate.co.nz/internet/informationliteracy.html

I hope that's useful to somebody.

Regards