[Air-l] Reactions to PhD blogs at conference

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Oct 5 07:55:14 PDT 2006

I really enjoyed this panel and Melissa's paper on academic blogs. My
sense of the laughter was more recognition of our own experience than
hostility. And yeah, a little envy from those of us who aren't
labelling ourselves "bitch" on our blogs though we might at times
feel that way (I used to fantasize about an anonymous blog called
'the angry professor' where I could post all the aggravating emails
students send -- like "I wasn't in class today, can you tell me what
I missed?").

Regarding the PhD student/older academic split Mary-Helen alludes to,
I guess I now qualify as the latter, and my sense sitting in there
was that the PhD students might be romanticizing what it was like
back in the old days. I don't recall a world where writing a
dissertation caused no stress, where we were assured of rewarding
academic employment, and so on. It was hard then too, we just didn't
have blogs to share the experience. That said, one of the interesting
things I got a little bit of a feel for in Brisbane was the
differences between the Australian higher educational system and the
American one, and maybe it is different for younger Australian
academics than older ones.

Thanks to Fay and Axel for organizing such a nice conference, I
really had a great time meeting so many new people and hope you'll
all be joining us in Vancouver next year!

Nancy