[Air-l] Reactions to PhD blogs at conference

Jeremy Depauw jeremy.depauw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 08:41:38 PDT 2006

Hi all !

It's been quite a ot of e-mails concerning this conference and episode on
blogging phd students... Since i am actually (a french speaking) one them, I
would be very pleased to catch a pdf version of the article... I could may
be have a new source to argue about the positive efect of academic
blogging...

Would it be possible ? My e-mail is:  jeremy.depauw at gmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Jer'm
http://dev.ulb.ac.be/philo/jdepauw/ (just in case)

2006/10/5, Nancy Baym <nbaym at ku.edu>:

> I really enjoyed this panel and Melissa's paper on academic blogs. My
> sense of the laughter was more recognition of our own experience than
> hostility. And yeah, a little envy from those of us who aren't
> labelling ourselves "bitch" on our blogs though we might at times
> feel that way (I used to fantasize about an anonymous blog called
> 'the angry professor' where I could post all the aggravating emails
> students send -- like "I wasn't in class today, can you tell me what
> I missed?").
>
> Regarding the PhD student/older academic split Mary-Helen alludes to,
> I guess I now qualify as the latter, and my sense sitting in there
> was that the PhD students might be romanticizing what it was like
> back in the old days. I don't recall a world where writing a
> dissertation caused no stress, where we were assured of rewarding
> academic employment, and so on. It was hard then too, we just didn't
> have blogs to share the experience. That said, one of the interesting
> things I got a little bit of a feel for in Brisbane was the
> differences between the Australian higher educational system and the
> American one, and maybe it is different for younger Australian
> academics than older ones.
>
> Thanks to Fay and Axel for organizing such a nice conference, I
> really had a great time meeting so many new people and hope you'll
> all be joining us in Vancouver next year!
>
> Nancy

Jeremy Depauw

The Power of Knoweldge Sharing and Skills Synegism
Journal de recherche: http://dev.ulb.ac.be/~jdepauw/dotclear/index.php