[Air-l] ict timeline

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 10 02:13:39 PDT 2006

This is a good History of ICT clutch of URLs
(timelines etc)
http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/icthistory/

For my money, the one real ICT that has impacted
virtually everyone's day to day life and work (in the
Western economies) is the old bog standard phone.

>From being a relatively rare and (in the UK at least)
only for use in emergencies and usually located in the
coldest part of the house (ours at home in North
London, in the '60s, was in the coast cupboard in the
hallway - very typical) it became, via direct dial and
long distance, a virtually ubiquitous means of
organising and running our social, work, and economic
lives - from chatting to my neighbour next door to
friends 4000 miles away - almost without thinking.

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto

e-m: dominic.pinto at ieee.org
M: +44 780 302-8268