[Air-l] AI and psychology

Todd Papke sabulatodd at mac.com
Thu Oct 12 07:43:40 PDT 2006

I'm a graduate student at The University of Iowa doing research in
social impacts (futuristic) of Artificial Intelligence.

I'm looking for writings that look at the psychological and cultural
impacts that AI will have.
I'm imagining a society where Information Technology is highly
ubiquitous- in fact I'm assuming the distinct probability that we
will have traversed the man/machine molecular biological boundaries
necessary so that we are transparently and homogeneously integrated
with our technology by that time.  I think that that is a necessary
sociological precursor to a true "AI" event that will result in a
machine that is capable of desire and (obviously) being capable of
passing the infamous "Turning Test".

The question that I want to address is the impact upon society from a
cultural and psychological perspective that this event will have.
It's somewhat post-humanist, but I'm wondering if anyone has looked
at this phenomena analogically and metaphorically against modern and
postmodern social theory.

Any reading suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Todd Papke