[Air-l] multitasking

Sarah Robbins intellagirl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 11:50:14 PDT 2006

I have conducted one study into the multitasking phenomenon. It was
presented at a national conference and not submitted for publication but I'd
be happy to pass the paper along. I observed undergraduates at their own
computers while they completed a writing task for a core english course. I
used screen capture software to monitor what applications they used and how
often they switched between them (IM, email, Word, browsers) and then used
post interviews to categorize why they switched when they did. The findings
illustrated that students most often switched to a form of personal
communication (IM or email) to either 1) blow off steam or 2) ask a fellow
student a question. Browsers were used to look up assignments and reference
information. Not surprising at all.
It was a very small informant group (9 students) but the methodology worked
well and I hope to repeat it with a larger population at some point.
Sarah Robbins