[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Michael Maranda mmaranda at afcn.org
Mon Oct 16 17:16:07 PDT 2006

It's not a trivial question.  And whether people understand just what it is
has very important consequences.

I've got my own answer - somewhat abstract - that it is essentially an
agreement or set of agreements ...  but rather than  offer my quasi formal
definition, I'd like to draw your attention to another approach ...  I've
been asking people to describe rather than to define the Internet as a part
of my Chicago Internet interviews for "One Web Day" ...  there are perhaps
20 interviews on YouTube ... and a few more I havent put online yet... (I
intend to do some more).

If you go to YouTube and search for "owd" you will come upon some of the
videos.

-MM

Executive Director, CTCNet Chicago Chapter
Co-Founder, Chicago Digital Access Alliance
Co-Chair, Illinois Community Technology Coalition
President, Association For Community Networking

Support the efforts of the Chicago Digital Access Alliance:
http://www.digitalaccessalliance.org