[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Oct 16 19:01:33 PDT 2006

The usual definition I run across, weak as it is, is a network of
networks connected through shared protocols, specifically TCP/IP.

It gets increasingly complicated and problematic now that mobile
phones and other technologies that are not exactly what we think of
as "computers" are internet connected as well.

When we started this association, we were critiqued for casting the
net too narrow by calling it the Association of INTERNET researchers.
Rob Kling (who keynoted out first meeting) and I had a conversation,
for instance, in which he argued that phenomena such as banking
networks which contain/transfer most of the world's economy yet are
not "the internet" are extremely important and shouldn't be set
outside of "internet" studies. One of our longest time members once
commented to me that she was getting increasingly interested in
interactive gaming via gaming consoles, but wasn't sure it was
appropriate work for AoIR since it wasn't technically "internet."

Although these are important and accurate definitional critiques, in
practice I think that "internet" has come to be one of those terms
that has no precise meaning, yet which continues (for now) to
function effectively to lend coherence to a variety of differing yet
related phenomena. I would not be surprised to find the term rendered
completely meaningless in the future, though.

Nancy