[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 17 10:59:49 PDT 2006

All,

Boy, lots of good sources and concepts coming out in this thread. Thanks to everyone.

I agree that it depends on what purpose you are defining it for, as well as what audience. Although I think it might be useful to discuss a functional definition for general purposes, such as undergrad instruction.

For my students, I differentiate between the internet and the web. The internet is the technical/physical infrastructure (regardless of protocols) that supports the web. For myself, I see the entire global communication infrastructure, once it goes completely digital, to effectively "be" the internet. The web is the information (in whatever form) that resides or transits the internet (email, webpages, streaming media, whatever). I believe that I picked this up from Kirsten Foot.

This makes sense to me in its relation to the difference between the electromagnetic spectrum and the equipment that utilizes it (transmitters/ receivers) and broadcast radio or TV (content).

Broadly, I think this general discussion hits on a particular social science problem with the internet and/or the web, which is how to bound what you are studying?

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington