[Air-l] A note on (online) bibliography

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Fri Oct 20 11:29:14 PDT 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 10:24, Anders Fagerjord wrote:
> Styles are a matter of academic discipline, and something often not
> under your control. I tend to prefer MLA as it not only has specified
> how to cite almost all kinds of communication, but also because it
> avoids the necessity for year-and-letter constructions (2004a), and
> you stay clear of obviously anachronic constructions like "_Rhetoric_
> (Aristotle, 1989)."

Yes, my crunching of the title into an abbreviation serves a similar purpose
(e.g., Wikipedia 2006npov). However I would not go the MLA route for
historic and ethnographic archival work because the titles of the resources
would be ungainly, and it would be ambiguous in the end regardless if I'm
quoting multiple messages in the same thread by the same author.
--
Regards,          http://www.mit.edu/~reagle/
Joseph Reagle     E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E