[Air-l] research online using ...

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Sun Oct 29 03:31:16 PST 2006

Dear all,

apologies! in yesterday's posting regarding the work of Valentina Johanna
Baumgartner (A Practical Set of Cultural Dimensions
for Global User-interface Analysis and Design. University of Vienna.)
I wrote
> Both a copy of her survey questionnaire and the diplom-arbeit (in
> German) can be easily retrieved from the web.

error! while her Diplomarbeit has a German Zusammenfassung / English
abstract - both the thesis and questionnaire are in English.

Having now had the chance to go through it at least quickly - I recommend it
to anyone interested in researching cross-cultural communication in online
contexts.  While Baumgartner focuses on the top five factors seen to be
important in what Fay Sudweeks and I call "culturally-aware design" - as
identified by web designers, so this is descriptive, not prescriptive - her
synthesis of multiple authors beyond Hall and Hofstede and resulting
questionnaire seeks to measure 29 possible factors, and her results rank 22
dimensions as significant.

Her Diplomarbeit can be retrieved from:
<www.mavas.at/val/downloads/ValBaumgartner_
PracticalSetOfCulturalDimensions.pdf>

enjoy!
- c.

Distinguished Research Professor,
Interdisciplinary Studies <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html

Information Ethics Fellow, 2006-07, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
Vice-President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23