[Air-l] Reification was Definitions

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Thu Oct 19 21:00:11 PDT 2006

All,

This newcomer to Air-l confesses to bewilderment as to the agenda of this
discussion, and its motives.

And baffled by such theses as these:

<< I did say that there are terms that have been reified, turned into tropes
and subsequently cited. I gave an example of "cyberspace". I offer
additional an additional term such as "virtual group or community" which
carries the implication of "almost like" a group or community. In context
they are presented as if they have been explicitly defined. No proof of
"virtuality" has been offered and yet it has been cited as support for other
assertions. >>

It seems to me that the meaning(s) of the locution "virtual community" is as
clear and as coherent as older terms, e.g. "science." Terms like "science"
and "virtual community" are not "explicitly defined" in a way that lends
them precision, and prevents arguments about their methods and boundaries:
Latour's science is not Kuhn's is not Feyerbend's.

For example: is there really a "scientific method" that is clearly defined
and universally accepted?

"Virtual community" is clear enough, it seems to me, at least as clear and
as fuzzy as the term "community" itself, which has been "defined" hundreds
of times without ending the many different ways in which the term is used.
And I imagine most of us would agree that a "virtual community" is made up
of people who are not physically co-present.

I find the statement that "virtuality" has not been "proved" impossible to
grasp. The central thesis of "virtual community" is that new communication
technologies make it possible for people who do not share the same space and
time, who are not seen or heard "in the flesh," to engage in the kinds of
interactions that characterize the communities of proximity. What other
proof of "virtuality," and its ability to create commonality and communal
conversation do we need beyond the evidence of this discussion?

There is something going on here which is mystifying. To me, at least.

Steve Eskow