[Air-l] concerns about new biblio programs: Endnote issue

Monica Barratt monica.barratt at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 18:02:44 PDT 2006

I have been reading this discussion with great interest. I use Endnote
constantly; I use it not only for basic functions such as storing references
and inserting citations into written documents, but also to store my
research notes and keywords which assist in my literature organisation
system. I always try to include article abstracts as well, so searching my
database with keywords usually brings up the article I'm hoping to find!

I'm most interested in all the other alternatives, but given all the time
I've invested in learning Endnote, like Barry Wellman, I'm wondering what it
is that alternative software packages can offer that would make them worth
changing too. The social networking possibilities is one such feature
available in citeulike but not Endnote... It's hard to imagine finding a
feature that is so compelling that I would abandon a program that I've
managed to integrate so well into my writing practice!

For anyone interesting in things Endnote, I also subscribe to the Endnote
Interest e-list: http://www.endnote.com/support/en-interest.asp - most
technical questions get answered and there is a healthy discussion about
bibliographic software in general on the list.

cheers
monica