[Air-l] null hypothesis

Patricia Lange pglange at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 15:36:23 PST 2006

I cannot speak to differences or similarities between
computers and other media, but I have argued taking
care not to assume differences between CMC and
face-to-face communication without empirical research.

For instance, I've argued that there are similarities
between CMC and face-to-face talk in terms of
arguments, and that by calling certain phenomena
"flaming" scholars risk bracketing off computer-based
phenomena as automatically different from what happens
in face-to-face conversation, before empirical
research is even begun.

So I argue for extinguishing the term flaming.

http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_9/lange/index.html

Cheers,

Patricia Lange, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow