[Air-l] From Lurking to Querying (questions about graduate studies)

Ivan Mulkeen imulkeen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:32:11 PDT 2006

I've been following the ranging (and sometimes boomeranging) topics on this
list for several weeks now, I've even gone as far as to contact some of you
personally for advice on the subject of graduate studies, but having
conducted a fair amount of my own research, I find myself no further
progressed than I was a month ago. So I find myself asking you all directly
for advice.

I'm a fourth year undergrad, doing an honours BA in English and Social &
Political Though. I'm looking to move onto graduate studies next year,
focusing more carefully on Cyber culture, the impact the Internet and
digital technologies have on our language, the English western discourse,
and the related fields of video gaming and comics (print and web based) as
forms of narrative. I've been flipping and flopping back and forth between
finalizing my study field, it's not something I want to commit to til I'm
sure of it, but I'm looking at masters programs in Ontario, Canada, for the
time being, then hopefully PhD programs elsewhere.

The two main schools I'm looking at for an MA are York University (Toronto)
and Western (London), both Ontario schools that seem to have programs that
look at related fields to my interests -- but I'm wondering if I have missed
any institutions in my research that might be applicable. York has a
Humanities MA that addresses my research, and I could probably find faculty
in the English department that would also be interested, Western, however,
seems to have at least half a dozen minds working in that field, but it
means moving (something that might not be possible for a year at least).

Any advice or insight you can offer, or opinions in general, are greatly
appreciated.

Ivan Mulkeen