[Air-l] Response to discussion on Wikis

Martin G. Smith martin at redseven.ca
Sun Oct 8 15:20:50 PDT 2006

I have followed with interest the commentary on wikipedia.
As a researcher I rarely use it and when I do, it is for
base line information, as a starting point. What interests
me more, particularly in the front-line work I am engaged
in, is the community which has developed around not only
the wikipedia phenomenon as well the whole wiki culture.
What concerns me about Charlie Balch’s comment on
‘academic snobbery’ is that it is contrary to what
academia is classically supposed to be about, and is
certainly counter to the rapidly growing Open Courseware
[OCW] movement.

I suggest it might be incumbent on those said same
academics to perhaps nudge the quality of wikis in general
and wikipedia in particular which in turn improve the
quality of the knowledge within the community as a whole.
The ‘net has provided a means to accelerate the
advancement of knowledge across a wide area, it is, I
suggest the responsibility of those who are able, to help
those who are learning to have the benefit, at least, of
knowledge which is well founded. Wikis, in all their forms
are the tools.

Martin G. Smith - Proprietor/Co-ordinator
RedSeven Services
http://www.redseven.ca
ABOTA*-ONAMISSION
[*A Bridge Over The Abyss]

Each day, as we walk the byways and flash along the Highway of Light:
There are those who are left standing, as the march to flight goes by.

Some to stop and wonder at the enormous potential at what
has been created:

But others who are left, standing in a rut at the side of the road,
a rut too soon to become an abyss.

So Then? What to do?

Have said before, too many times to count, yet shall say again, as often as need be,
until there is clarity in the air:

The time has come to put a fence at the top of the cliff, instead of a net at the bottom:
Thus giving a chance to build a bridge over the abyss.

http://abota.blogsource.com