[Air-l] Timeline of ICT's which have changed the day-to-day Profesionals practices

Jeremy Depauw jeremy.depauw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 03:09:21 PDT 2006

Hi All !

I am currently tring to create a timeline, from 1945 to current days which
aims to identify the occurrence of ICT's in Information Management (IM) and
Journalism day-to-day practices. The idea is to have an overlook of either
devices/hardwares or tools/softwares which could have provoked major changes
on professional pratices.

I already tried to do it by myself but the problem is that I was born in
1982.  You will easily understand that I don't remember how those trade
could be without Internet, Cellular phones or Google. The major difficulty I
encounter is to close the gap between the offcial date of creation of
technologies and their actual adoption and généralisation, which seems to be
more accurate in order to analyze my timeline.

For exemple: Even if the creation "Internet" may be "placed" in the late
sixties on the timeline, the effective generalization of its use by IM and
Journlism profesionals would be better placed in the middle of the
nineties.  This situation is almost the same for all ICT's.

Therefore, my question is: What are, according to you, the ICT's which have
had an influence on professionals pratices and where would you place them on
a timeline ?

I would be very pleased to get input from experienced scholars or
profesionals as this list's readers, in order to help me to focus properly
on that topic.  I Hope to read from you soon. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Jeremy
PhD Student

Université Libre De Bruxelles
(Belgium)
--
Jeremy Depauw

The Power of Knoweldge Sharing and Skills Synegism
Journal de recherche: http://dev.ulb.ac.be/~jdepauw/dotclear/index.php