[Air-l] theory to explain plazes.com?

Bunz, Ulla Ulla.Bunz at comm.fsu.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:39:18 PDT 2006

An undergraduate student in my program is researching plazes.com, a website like myspace and facebook in that it is a social networking site, but in addition it adds a physical location. The technology behind it enables friends to know one's location through a cellphone or internet connection. Thus, issues of privacy (invasion) are huge. The student is looking for a theory that explains or relates to people's willingness to engage in such activities even at the expense of inhibiting personal privacy. In a way we have a third place here that is tied to a physical location again. The student is approaching this topic from a background in rhetorical criticism.
Does anyone have suggestions for theories and places to look for them? As-complete-as-possible references would be very much appreciated. Please send to me directly. I will compile and send both to the list and to the student.
Thanks,
Ulla

---
Ulla Bunz