[Air-l] multitasking

Sam Tilden tildensam at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 16:11:42 PDT 2006

Technically this is incorrect! They are better able to rapidly change the focus of attention. The article is the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience.

  Sam

Nancy Baym <nbaym at ku.edu> wrote:
  >As this is the Association of Internet RESEARCHERS, I wonder if anyone has
>done any Research on multitasking -- to address the interesting
>conjectures that a bunch of people have.

I don't have the citation, and it's not internet research, but the
pscyhologist Barbara Rogoff
(http://psych.ucsc.edu/faculty/brogoff/index.php?Home) has done some
cross cultural work between Utah, USA and South America and shown
that the South American mothers are better able to multitask than the
American mothers. What she did was to bring a toy for the child to
play with while she interviewed the mother that was too difficult for
the child to figure out alone. The American mothers had to alternate
between attending to the interview and the child, while the South
American mothers (and I apologize for not remembering the country in
which she was working) could do both simulatneously.

Nancy

http://www.aoir.org/