[Air-l] multitasking

Sam Tilden tildensam at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 15:14:59 PDT 2006

Bob,

  It is evident from the thread that the participants are not cognitive neuro-scientists and I don't believe they are psychologist so I was speaking schematically. I also aware that my metaphors failed when pushed to their extreme.

  I attempted to operationalize the term "multi-tasking". A task that is limited by point of view (disciplinarity).

  Current science describes the brain as several highly specialized neural signal processors related to sensory functions, cognitions, control structures and integrative tissues. As you clearly point out attention is measured in degrees not an off/on dichotomy. Having said this, we also don't have the capacity to attend (consiously) to the full array of our sensorium at any given moment in time.

  Since this is a neuro-chemical process, as one process is being inhibited another may be ramping up. This process produces overlapping latencies. With the current level of diagnostic, non-invasive technologies (such as high resolution MRI) we can map these processes with a significant degree of granularity.

  In fact this technology actually allowed the development of conginitive-neuroscience and understanding of basic brain functioning. It is a new science that has had a major impact on HCI as well.

  We are very good at integrating what are in fact discreet events into what we perceive in real time as a contiuous process, just as we view 24 frames per second as a moving picture when it is in fact discreet still frames. Your entire discipline is dependent on the limitations of our sensorium.

  Individual differences in perception (at a very basic level and absent cognitive interpretation) emerge out of  individual differences in cognitive neuronal functioning.

  If you have evidence to the contrary, I would be very interested in seeing it. Otherwise I have given a very simplistic explanation of a very complex subject and the current state of understanding.

  Sam