[Air-l] Organisational differences?

Julian Hopkins julianh at help.edu.my
Mon Oct 16 19:12:01 PDT 2006

Hello Elizabeth,

Not directly relevant as it's more to do with open source, but I found an
article by Christopher Kelty very thought-provoking - particularly the
concept of the 'recursive public': a concept which he derives from Charles
Taylor and Michael Warner. He defines it as: "a particular form of social
imaginary through which this group [i.e. 'geeks': "hackers, lawyers,
activists, and IT entrepreneurs"] imagines in common the means of their own
association, the material forms this imagination takes, and what place it
has in the contemporary development of the Internet."

Kelty, Christopher. "Geeks, Social Imaginaries, and Recursive Publics."
Cultural Anthropology May 2005. 20.2:185-215. 29 Jun. 2005
<http://www.proquest.com>

What it says to me is that IT people are aware of the constitutive (limited
in various ways though) effect of software/hardware on how organisations are
develop and change; and they are also aware that they have more control, in
a practical/prosaic sense, over this process than others.

On a different level though, I have yet to meet many people who don't think
that their own job is more difficult and important than other's jobs...
Also, I've often thought of IT personnel as acting like some doctors -
believing that the 'patient' cannot understand the details and just telling
them what to do without explaining and considering that they may have some
useful input too.

Regards,

Julian

Julian Hopkins