[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Christian Fuchs Christian.Fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Tue Oct 17 07:26:57 PDT 2006

I don't agree to separate internet and internetting, a technical structure
and human activity.

If there were no human beings organized in social groups, there wouldn't be
an internet and the internet wouldn't develop. Without meaningful human
knowledge and social activity the internet is a dead block, useless. Hence I
argue that one shouldn't separate the term internet from social activity,
but to integrate social activity into definitions of the internet in the
first place. Common definitions such as the one of the Federal Networking
Council simply neglect the central role of social activity on the net, they
are techno-centristic.

Best
Christian