[Air-l] Definitions

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Oct 17 15:07:07 PDT 2006

I was not flaming you.  I am sorry if that was your interpretation.
I was observing that you attempted to dismiss my argument by waiving
the magic wand of webster's dictionary at it, so I rejoined with the
possibility that your construction of the authority in that text
might not be generally accepted by experts and practitioners in the
field.  In short, I rejoined your appeal to authority in standard
rhetorical fashion, responding to rhetoric with rhetoric.

On Oct 17, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Sam Tilden wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
>   I will not allow you to start a flame war with me. Pick on
> somebody else.
>
>   Sam
>
> Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
>   yes, that is why there are many dictionaries... and you know what...
> there are encyclopedias, textbooks, and even a whole field of
> study:) i don't see many in science citing webster's dictionary as
> the canonical definition, but perhaps they should be...
>
>> You'll have to take that up with the writers at Webster's Dictionary.
>

> Jeremy Hunsinger
> Pratt Institute
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
> /\ - against microsoft attachments
>
> http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
> http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
> http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/ LI-the journal