[Air-l] Definitions

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 18 14:41:51 PDT 2006

There are many established ways of knowing and ways of thinking and
researching that go beyond 'creative opinion', but are not science as
most people understand it. Nancy listed some of them, but your reply
would indicate to me that you are simply dismissing all of them
without understanding what they add to the sum of human
understanding. They may seem to be 'creative opinion', but they can
in fact be rigorous methods of investigation.

I would suggest that you get hold of a copy of an edition of the
Handbook of Qualitative Research (Denzin & Lincoln) or some other
'bible' of qualitative inquiry. It will take you a while to work
through it (I'm still dipping into it a year after I first got my
second-hand copy from Amazon) but even the early chapters will help
to understand  some of the issues you profess to be confused about.

M-H