[Air-l] media comparisons

Esther Milne EMilne at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Sun Oct 29 16:41:39 PST 2006

heh - yep it's always about image isn't it?

So now that the self promo door has been opened (or whatever metaphor is suitable here!) my research is directly concerned with the analytical, empirical and historical relation between "CMC" and older modes of networked communication such as the postal system. In particular it investigates how presence is constructed through email and letters:

on presence in email and letter mail:

‘Email and Epistolary Technologies: presence, intimacy, disembodiment’, Fibreculture Journal, 1.2, 2003, http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue2/issue2_milne.html.

on 19th century visiting cards & SMS language and convention:

‘“Magic bits of paste-board”: texting in the nineteenth century’, M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture, 6.6, 2004, http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0401/02-milne.php.

and on the aesthetics of postal communications:

‘The Affective and Aesthetic Relations of Epistolary Presence’ in Louis Armand (ed.), The Avant-Garde under “Post” Conditions (Prague: Litteraria Pragensia, 2006), 160-177.

end of product placement!
cheers,
esther

Dr Esther Milne
Lecturer in Media and Communications
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences
Swinburne University of Technology
John Street, Hawthorn VIC 3122
AUSTRALIA
tel: +613 92148195
email: emilne at swin.edu.au
www.fibreculture.org
www.realtimearts.net/

>>> "Ronald E. Rice" <rrice at comm.ucsb.edu> 30/10/2006 10:53 am >>>
I am reluctant to be seen as self-aggrandizing (note that I am not
necessarily reluctant to BE self-aggrandizing), but here are two of my own
articles that provide both review and empirical comparisons of media
(traditional and computer-mediated), with lots of references in both:
Rice, R. E.  (1987). Computer-mediated communication and organizational
innovation.  Journal of Communication, 37(4), 65-94.
Rice, R. E. (1993).  Media appropriateness: Using social presence theory to
compare traditional and new organizational media.  Human Communication
Research, 19(4), 451-484.
======================================
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television and New Media
President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
Fulbright Professor, Finland 2006
Dept. of Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
ph: 805-893-8696; fax: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu