[Air-l] The value of creative expression outside pedagogical contexts

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Tue Oct 3 08:40:04 PDT 2006

One of the most interesting findings (for me at least) of the last
Pew survey on weblogging was that the top motivation for it was the
expression of creativity. I have been trying to find a literature
that talks about the importance of being able to express one's self
creatively that doesn't mainly relate either to education or to
creativity as a way of gaining access to a group with status (eg fan
creativity). It seems a lot of the work by scholars like Henry
Jenkins agrees tacitly that the Internet is giving people who might
not have other avenues for creativity a chance to be creative and
this is good but I don't recall coming across anyone who elaborates
on this except Willis, P. (1990). Common culture : symbolic work at
play in the everyday cultures of the young. Buckingham, Open
University Press and (in passing) Atton, C. (2001) "The Mundane and
Its Reproduction in Alternative Media", Journal of Mundane Behavior,
2 (1).  http://www.mundanebehavior.org/issues/v2n1/atton.htm

There's also Rodríguez, C. (2001) Fissures in the Mediascape : An
International Study of Citizens' Media, Hampton Press, Cresskill,
N.J. and others writing about alternative media but they mostly
concentrate on the political benefits of being able to express
yourself. I am more interested in broader sociological issues.

Anyway, any ideas?

an

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)