[Air-l] "Wikipedia" style published book

R.Mabry-Hubbard (UMC Student) ryh352 at mizzou.edu
Sat Oct 14 12:11:23 PDT 2006

FYI: Interesting news about MIT's planned attempt to publish a "Wikipedia"
style collaboratively written scholarly book.

I think the more fascinating story is the initial varying reaction of the
media headlines from "MIT Opens Junk Science Institute" to "MIT Looks to
Give 'Group Think' A Good Name"

MIT Invests in Collective Research

Today administrators at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology unveiled
the Center for Collective Intelligence <http://cci.mit.edu/>, a program that
would use technology and what officials describe as "large numbers of
people" to solve business, scientific, and societal problems.

The center's director, Thomas W. Malone, cited Google and Wikipedia as
inspiration for the center. He said the basic research question there would
be "How can people and computers be connected so that, collectively, they
act more intelligently than any individuals, groups, or computers have ever
done before?"

One of the center's first projects will be a Wikipedia-style business book
about the effects of social networks on business operations. The SEI Center
for Advanced Studies in Management at the University of Pennsylvania's
Wharton School and Pearson Publishing will also be involved. The book is
expected to be published in the spring. --Andrea L. Foster

Posted on Friday October 13, 2006 | CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION

"MIT Opens ..." http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/11/mit_junk_science/

"MIT Looks ..." http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/8836
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/8836&t5> &t5

------

Robin Y. Mabry Hubbard, MBA, EdS

Rural Sociology Doctoral Student - Community Informatics

Email:  <mailto:ryh352 at mizzou.edu> ryh352 at mizzou.edu  My Homepage:
<http://www.rrchubbard.org/> http://www.rrchubbard.org

Murphy's Law: There is never enough time to do it right; but there is always
time to do it over

~ Our Future arrived Yesterday!  ~

[I am not inviting any postmodernist to my party!]