[Air-l] pox on APA style

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 20 10:58:06 PDT 2006

Someone has praised APA style over MLA.

As MLA is about the only style I haven't used, I can't comment.

But I hate the first initial fixation of APA. It dehumanizes people to be
reduced to B. Wellman from Barry Wellman. Not only that, it is often
confusing. For example, my wife and I were once forced to publish a paper
APA style as B.S. Wellman and B.S. Wellman. (It did end any debate over
priorities, though.)

 Barry Wellman

Just thought I'd divert us from the current rash of pontifications on this
list.

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php