[Air-l] back to 1984

Frank Thomas news.ftr at free.fr
Thu Oct 5 06:45:53 PDT 2006

I wouldn't speak of "thought crime" but of dangerous naivety (if such a
behaviour is not intentionally naïve).

Training a content-analysis and data mining system working for foreign
newspaper articles with US newspaper articles! This sounds surprising ,
to put it mildly. You understand the Pravda when you know how to read
the New York Times? And you use the same technology for understanding
both sources?

A general solution then is to say: common sense tells everyone that ..
So, you would get a common denominator. One might in fact think that
there is some common sense in all cultures, and we can base our
judgements about the realities (and dangers) of life on common sense, at
least.

But the last Atlantic Monthly November edition shows that common sense
as understood by an American prosecutor is not always the same as the
common sense as it is understood by a religious Pakistani:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200610/waldman-islam

What happens if you fall into the hands of a government which knows
visibly nothing of intercultural differences?

- Frank