[Air-l] theory to explain plazes.com?

Greg Wise Greg.Wise at asu.edu
Thu Oct 12 11:25:03 PDT 2006

One way into this would be to look at
Howard Rheingold (2002). Smart Mobs. Basic Books. [I'm reminded of his
discussion of the Lovegety dating service in Japan where a key-chain
device lights up when a compatible Lovegety subscriber is in the area;
plus various games played using location-aware phones. Rheingold's
website for the book, www.smartmobs.com posts updates for the various
sections of the book]
And other work on mobile phone networking, like
	Ito, Okabe, and Matsuda (2005). Personal, Portable, Pedestrian:
Mobile Phones in Japanese Life. MIT Press.

There's also the ambient computing approach, e.g.,:
	Adam Greenfield (2006). Everyware: The dawning age of ubiquitous
computing. New Riders Press.
	And someone already mentioned Moreville's Ambient Findability.

In terms of surveillance, there's the online journal Surveillance and
Society (http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/) as well as a brand
new book: David Lyon (2006). Theorizing Surveillance: The Panopticon and
Beyond. Willan Publishing.

In terms of people voluntarily giving up privacy to be surveilled, some
of the studies on webcams might be useful, especially home webcams (work
by Mark Andrejevic [see his book, Reality TV: The Work of Being Watched,
as well as an essay in Couldry and McCarthy's MediaSpace, Theresa Senft,
Hille Koskela [who has pieces in Surveillance and Society and in Lyon's
new book] would be places to start.

It also reminds me of the Marauder's Map in the Harry Potter books,
except in this case everyone gets a copy.

Cheers,

Greg Wise