[Air-l] multitasking

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Sun Oct 15 07:15:35 PDT 2006

The term "multitasking" is still being used in all of these discussions
to signify too many conflated variables to reach any significant
conclusions from these data.

My point earlier was about processing differences.  Auditory and visual
processing are different things to me, and so I assume to some others
as well -- probably dozens of different things.  Measuring someone's
ability to switch back and forth between windows to accomplish multiple
tasks -- something that I can do with lightning speed -- says nothing
about one's ability to listen in class and gloss over words on a screen
at the same time, something that I would NOT be able to do with any
measure of "success."

The windows task seems to be something visual for me -- I have no
trouble processing many visual cues at one time.  The paying attention
to words task seems to be auditory for me: two different "noises" no
matter whether I am reading them or hearing them.

We'll have to accept that we have different kinds of processing
abilities that transcend distinctions between a "multitasking" and
"non-multitasking" dichotomy before we'll figure out how to design
studies that can really teach us something.

Has anyone done anything to establish baseline processing differences
before the "multitasking" tasks were recorded?

Deanya