[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 17 09:06:47 PDT 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Kevin Guidry wrote:

> But it just seems to me that TCP/IP as the
> underlying protocol of the majority of the Internet is a historical
> accident.

I disagree.  Choices and controversies - not accidents - created the
TCP/IP Internet that we use today.  The work of scholars such as
Janet Abbate and Neil Randall (as well as my own work, which is why
I'm sensitive on this point :-) describe these choices and
controversies in great detail.  Of course the Internet (like all
things) changes over time, and I agree with those who say that the
definitions of the Internet vary according to the perspectives and
interests of those who wish to define it.

Andy Russell
History of Science and Technology
Johns Hopkins University