[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 17 16:00:57 PDT 2006

Sam Tilden wrote:

> I know this is a trivial question! Does anyone have a really good definition of the Internet.
>
>   The only ones I have speaks only to the technology.

We used the definition below in the Dynamic Platform Standards
Project's proposal for net neutrality.  It's a definition of the
technical behavior of the Internet Protocol (not TCP/IP, but IP
in itself), and we intend it as a definition of the technical
behavior that assures net neutrality, but in the correct,
broadest sense.

I'm not sure what speaking of the technology takes away from
anyone's purposes.  Here we speak in deliberately general terms,
rather than particulars of how many bytes represent what kind of
information in any specific protocol, in order to describe the
functions and purposes it supports adequately.

The Internet Protocol has a lot of specifics, but it also is very
general in a way very like the way the digital computer is
general.  It isn't just the basis for interoperability of
different types of networks; it's the basis for the genericity
and flexibility of the Internet as a platform for creation and
communication.  In general terms, it describes a set of technical
behaviors that support nearly anything you can think of.

Section 2 ("Findings") explains this aspect:  Points 2, 3, 5 and
6 are most technically relevant:

(from http://www.dpsproject.com/legislation.html)

(2) The success of the Internet is built on the establishment of
    certain commonly observed principles of practice, expressed
    in "Internet protocols," governing the manner in which
    transmissions are exchanged. Interoperation among competing
    Internet providers on the basis of these principles assures
    that the Internet remains a generic, flexible platform that
    supports innovation and free expression.

(3) This flexible platform, commonly referred to as the "IP
    layer" of the Internet, enables users to independently
    develop innovative applications by devising rules and
    conventions describing how information transmitted between
    connected users will be interpreted in order to serve diverse
    purposes. The vast collection of applications that have been
    freely created in this manner is commonly referred to as the
    "application layer" of the Internet.

(5) Among the commonly-observed principles of practice that
    govern Internet transmissions are the following:

    a) Transmissions are broken down into small pieces referred
       to as "packets," comprised of small portions of the
       overall information useful to the users at each
       transmission's endpoints. A small set of data is
       prefixed to these packets, describing the source and
       destination of each packet and how it is to be treated.

    b) Internet routers transmit these packets to various other
       routers, changing routers freely as a means of managing
       network flow.

    c) Internet routers transmit packets independently of each
       other and independently of the applications that the
       packets are supporting.

(6) These principles governing the IP layer establish a technical
    behavior that not only assures the platform's flexibility,
    but also assures its reliability, availability, universal
    accessibility, and uniform treatment of information flow. The
    IP layer assures that all applications may compete on a level
    basis of connectivity, be they commercially developed by a
    major corporation and made available to millions, or non-
    commercial applications developed by individuals and offered
    at no charge.

Under Section 3 is the more specific, yet still general,
definition we use for nailing down legal language:

(A) Internet.- The term "Internet" means the worldwide, publicly
    accessible system of interconnected computer networks that
    transmit data by packet switching using the standard Internet
    Protocol (IP), some characteristics of which include:

      i) Transmissions between users who hold globally reachable
         addresses, and which transmissions are broken down into
         smaller segments referred to as "packets" comprised of a
         small portion of information useful to the users at each
         transmission's endpoints, and a small set of prefixed
         data describing the source and destination of each
         transmission and how the packet is to be treated;

     ii) routers that transmit these packets to various other
         routers on a best efforts basis, changing routers freely
         as a means of managing network flow; and

    iii) said routers transmit packets independently of each
         other and independently of the particular application in
         use, in accordance with globally defined protocol
         requirements and recommendations.

(B) Internet access.- The term "Internet access" means a
    service that enables users to transmit and receive
    transmissions of data using the Internet protocol in a manner
    that is agnostic to the nature, source or destination of the
    transmission of any packet. Such IP transmissions may include
    information, text, sounds, images and other content such as
    messaging and electronic mail.

Seth Johnson
Corresponding Secretary
New Yorkers for Fair Use