[Air-l] Latour, ANT, and Internet Research

Stefan Görling stefan.gorling at indek.kth.se
Wed Oct 18 00:31:35 PDT 2006

I probably should add to this discussion that I had the pleasure to
attend a course held by Latour himself in Gothenburg this summer, where
we had long disucssions regarding his new fascination for Tardé and the
Internet.

His take on it was that the Internet is increddible for ANT-like
researche because of its traceability, the fact that you could trace
every single step of what is happening. So his take was that to study
the social on the Internet, ANT is a great tool.

(Or rather, the Tardian approach and thoughts as he's now fully occupied
with Tarde, my personal take on that is that he is trying to convert ANT
from a method to a theory by associating it with a filosopher, but
that's not a common agreement.)

One Ph.D student held a long demonstration of World of Worldcraft which
impressed him a lot, that you actually constructed your own world, and
were able to follow each and every thing that went on in it.

So if you're up to it. Tardes thoughts about Leibnitz Monard and the way
it replicates and creates an imaginative array could be worth thinking a
bit about. Perhaps by reading the newest book by Latour
'Recontextualizing the Social' or phsycologie de economie

Me myself, still being much confused about it all though..

/Stefan