[Air-l] Open source bibliography database

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Oct 23 06:27:59 PDT 2006

Julian Hopkins wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good open-source/free bibliography database
> programme?
>
> It doesn't have to be integrated into Word and all that jazz, just be able
> to print out bibliographies in a variety of styles, and store all the
> material in a sensibly accessible database.
>
> Ideally it would also have the capability of doing online sources too.
>
> I have never used open source, so I would want something relatively easy to
> install.

refdb (http://refdb.sourceforge.net/) doesn't really qualify as
"relatively easy to install", and it doesn't have a user-friendly
front-end, but the maintainer of the package is incredibly responsive
and helpful, so I would still recommend you have a look at it.  I have
been using it in conjunction with BibDesk
(http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/) as the user-friendly front-end, and
LyX (http://www.lyx.org/) for editing my document.  The results, I
think, look very nice indeed: download the PDF file (and compare the
other versions: all generated automatically) from
http://www.malcolm.id.au/thesis to see what I mean.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor