[Air-l] PhD blogring proposal

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Tue Oct 17 23:55:16 PDT 2006

At the AoIR conference in Brisbane a group (well, three is a small
group!) of us PhD students met with the graduate student representative
on the AoIR board, Ted Coopman. One of the things that was suggested at
that meeting was that some kind of central place be set up with a list
of the blogs of graduate student members of the Association - a blog
ring, I guess, although it could be as simple as a click able listing of
all the sites with some details about their owners and their research
interests.

I'm not sure if there's somewhere this could be done on the Association
website, or whether one of us should just take the initiative and call
for addresses to create this page and stick it somewhere. I'm happy to
have a go at designing a button we could have on our sites - it could
link to this (as yet uncreated) list if we decided not to have a
'proper' blogring or it could be the blogring button.

The advantage to this would be that this could be a kick start to
forming a community of common interest - many of us are already linking
to each other and have each other on RSS feeds, but this would create a
quick way to connect with and for new student members. Also, at the PhD
colloquium many PhD presenters found the input from faculty to be really
helpful, especially as we're all working in such a multi-disciplinary
and 'out there' academic area and many have supervisors with more
traditional research experience. Having our blogs linked would mean that
we could bring up issues we were concerned about for discussion among a
wider audience that has a deeper understanding of the issues of our
research areas than many of the people we are in face-to-face contact with.

What do people think?

Mary-Helen
__
Educational Developer
Flexible Online Learning Team
USyd eLearning
Office of the Pro Vice Chancellor, Teaching and Learning