[Air-l] McLuhan meets the net

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Sat Oct 21 14:39:52 PDT 2006

> McLuhan. The Medium is the Massage (1967) and his next book War and
> Peace in the Global Village (1968). McLuhan predicted that technology
> would be an extension of our physical bodies and that electronic
> technology would enable us to live in a global village. The Internet was

I do not doubt that McLuhan came to his conclusions independently, but folks
like JCR Licklider, Doug Engelbart and Vannevar Bush wrote about such things
earlier (as did McLuhan).  For a discussion of Mcluhan's earlier book,
Understanding Media, and the Net see my old article "McLuhan Meets the Net:"
http://localhost/som/articles/macl.htm,

Larry