[Air-l] suggestions?

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Tue Oct 3 06:46:50 PDT 2006

>> 2.  I have a number of qualms about participating in the story as a
>> local "expert" - but hope that by doing so I might be able to defuse
>> some of the prevailing dichotomies that seem to shape reporting on
>> media (beginning, in this instance, by using the disease model of
>> addiction as the primary frame).  Stated another way, I'm hoping to
>> provide more informed and nuanced commentary that would help both the
>> reporter and the audience move away from these sorts of notions of
>> technology (good or bad? cure or disease? blessing or curse, etc.) -
>> notions that fuel the sorts of "moral panic" reporting on new media
>> (currently, e.g., connections between violent video games and recent
>> episodes of violence in schools, etc.)

Charles, it seems to me that the tendency to use disease models for an
excess of communicative action -- for discussion of "crackberries", et
cetera -- is not really without its offline precedent.

I'm thinking very specifically of people who "talk too much"; there's a
kind of taboo-like property (that I don't have a better name for --
stigmatization is not quite it...) assigned to such folks that is
intuitively parallel to "addiction".

I'm sure that other folks on the list will come up with more exemplars.

--elijah