[Air-l] back to 1984

Christoph Engemann engemann at gsss.uni-bremen.de
Fri Oct 6 04:01:13 PDT 2006

Ralf Bendrath wrote:
> Peter Timusk wrote:
>

>> Now my points I wonder if the intelligence agents are reading open
>> source computer code?
>>
> Sure. The NSA even developed its own version of a "Security-Enhanced
> Linux" (SELinux), which they of course have to give away under the GPL.

while the german 'intelligence community' brewed its own flavor called
'SINA' (Secure Inter-Networking Architecture), basically a stripped and
hardened linux. interesting trivia for geeks: a micro-kernel (!)
implementation was developed:
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/mikrosina/index.xml.en

of course all gpl'ed.

sina is the backbone of the vpn system used for communication between
german embassies. the developers claim it to be the first system that is
certified for "top-secret" communication. see:
http://www.bsi.de/fachthem/sina/sysbesch/sysbesch.htm (german!)

for the german reades here - I published an article 'Electronic
Government und die Free Software Bewegung: Der Hacker als Avantgarde
Citoyen'* *investigating the gpl-sovereignty nexus in the 2006 book
'politiken der medien', ed. daniel gethman, diaphanes verlag. I am happy
to share (and a translation is underway).

christoph

--
Christoph Engemann, Dipl. Psych.
Graduate School of Social Sciences