[Air-l] wikipedia research?

Karim R. Lakhani klakhani at hbs.edu
Sun Oct 8 06:24:11 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I suspect the motivation structure for wikipedia will be very similar
to open source.

Denise Anthony from Dartmouth Sociology has a great paper comparing
"quality" of entries from "good samaritans" vs "zealots." - showing
that the contributions from anonymous participants tends to be quite
higher than expected. https://www.dartmouth.edu/~socy/faculty/
anthony.html

I also think that Guido Hertel from University of Würzburg Dept of
Psychology has done some work on motivations in wikipedia - following
on the footsteps of his study on motivations in the linux kernel
community.  http://wy2x05.psychologie.uni-wuerzburg.de/ao/research/

I think its a rich place for research on distributed innovation and
collaboration.

Best

Karim